Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Whole Food Supplements

No I'm not talking about the lovely grocery store Whole Foods. I'm talking about supplements categorized as 'whole food supplements' or 'raw food supplements'. Instead of chemically derived supplements that you may encounter at the corner drug store or your basic supermarket, there is a surge in multivitamins on the market that are made from actual foods. You aren't taking a pill that had vitamins and minerals derived in a lab and molded into a pill; you can take a supplement that is basically real food, just densely packed.

This is a better way to get nutrients since the body does not absorb all the nutrients in the basic old-style multivitamin. With whole food supplements you are absorbing more, because let's face it, it's food and your body knows how to digest it. That is why when I consider nutritional therapy for my patients I always put them on a whole food supplement. This is to offset any potential nutritional deficiencies that might be inherent to their constitution.

Everyone is different and one can never be certain if the underlying problem is just not enough omega 3's, vitamin B's or magnesium. When you throw in stress and an inclination to get sick, then you will most certainly need more supplementation than normal.

Not all whole food supplements are equal and the one I prescribe for my patients is not available over the counter, only through health care providers. But there are other options out there, and one that I have tried and like is the Alive brand of supplements. So if you are interested in being proactive with your health and are already taking a multivitamin, I recommend trying a whole food supplement.


No comments:

Post a Comment